Bentonite clay is also known as Montmorillonite clay. It was formed from volcanic ash and is rich in minerals such as iron, sodium, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. This clay is mainly harvested in the U.S., France, and Italy. Kenya has some Bentonite clay sources though still under research as it is said to have fewer minerals as one of the research reports stated that “….Isinya and Amboseli clays, the composition of calcium may be reduced significantly…” (Weramwanja et al)
Bentonite is a “healing clay” that cleanses the body. It is off cream grey in color. It can be taken internally (drinking and eating it) or externally on the skin as a mask, scrub. In soaps, etc
You should also make sure to NOT use any metal utensils or bowls when mixing bentonite clay as this will decrease the effectiveness.
Bentonite clay is recommended for those with oily skin, combination skin, acne-prone skin, and clogged open pores scarred skin. DO NOT use bentonite clay if your skin is (super) sensitive or dry. Try white kaolin clay instead.
Benefits of using Bentonite Clay
- Draws out toxins–Bentonite Clay mask will help draw out toxins through the skin. The electrical charge produced by wet Bentonite clay is made up of negative ions that attract the positive ions in toxins and heavy metals, binding these toxins to it. Toxins may cause premature aging.
- Opens up clogged skin pores and clear acne – Skin sometimes gets clogged by sebum, and excess sebum production is the major cause of acne. A simple bentonite clay mask will draw excess sebum from the skin.
- Tones and tightens the skin– Bentonite has astringent properties so it has the ability to shrink body tissues. This is particularly useful in dealing with enlarged pores. The skin mask will reduce the appearance of enlarged pores making skin seem younger.
- Reduces blemishes– Bentonite clay’s astringent and skin unclogging properties are the reasons why this clay mask can reduce blemishes, discoloration, blackheads, uneven skin tone and age spots.
- Exfoliates the skin– Exfoliating the skin removes the dead skin and helps it look young and more vibrant. Skin exfoliation also reveals healthier looking skin as it encourages the renewal of skin cells.
Other uses of Bentonite clay:
- Detox Drink – this clay can help relieve digestive issues as well as help remove toxins from the body. Mix it with water or take as capsules with lots of water. Use bentonite clay that is purified and marked for internal use.
- Baby Powder – make a mild baby powder without chemical nasties. Combine Bentonite clay with arrowroot flour or cornflour for a natural hypoallergenic yet effective baby powder.
- Deodorant – Add it to your deodorant recipes to help keep you dry and help you detox.
- Toothpaste/Toothpowder – Bentonite is great for remineralizing teeth and helping them stay white!
- Itchy skin r elief – the minerals in the clay provides relief from a rash or bug bites.
- Hair Shampoo or Hair Detox – the clay is used as a shampoo replacement . Combine clay + water . Apply on hair and rinse with Apple cider vinegar. See below for an easy recipe to help your hair out!
- Foot Mask – Detox and pamper your feet at the same time with a Bentonite clay soak.
- Burns – applying a paste of bentonite clay to the wound and wrapping it will help it heal faster.
Various DIY Bentonite Clay Masks
For a mask, Bentonite Clay is combined with water and left to dry on the skin. The clay is able to bind to bacteria/toxins living on the surface of the skin and within pores to extract these from the pores. The masks below help to reduce the outbreak of blemishes, alleviate redness, and also to fight allergic reactions from irritating lotions or face washes.
Purifying facial mask
- Bentonite Clay – 1Tbsp
- Water/Rose water – 1Tbsp
- Mix the two ingredients together to form a paste using a wooden spoon (do NOT use a metallic spoon)
- Apply the paste evenly on your face avoiding the eyes and lip areas.
- Leave it until it dries, or about half an hour then wash it off with cool water.
- Pat the skin dry and apply a moisturiser.
- 2 TBSP bentonite clay
- 1 TBSP white kaolin clay
- 1 TSP jojoba/argan oil
- 2 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a clean jar
- Store in a dark cool place
- To use, add 1,5 TSP mixture to 1 TSP water
- Stir until you get a smooth paste (add more water if necessary)
Brightening facial mask
- 1 TBSP bentonite clay
- 1 TSP kaolin clay
- ½ fresh lemon juice
- 1 TSP turmeric powder
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl
- Add a few drops of water and stir until you get thicker but smooth paste
Useful information. Where can I get for internal use?