Cocoa butter is a type of fat that comes from cocoa beans found inside the cocoa pod that grows on the cacao tree. The beans are roasted, stripped, and pressed to separate out the fat—the cocoa butter. The remnants are then processed into cocoa powder.
Cocoa has been used in medicine for around 3,000 years. It was a favorite ingredient of the ancient Aztecs and Mayans, who even used cocoa for currency. More recently, researchers have discovered that compounds called phytochemicals in cocoa might help keep both your body and skin healthy.
Solid at room temperature, it has a low melting point and feels luxurious when you rub it on your skin,
Shelf life – two to five years.
INCI Name: Theobrama cacao
Best Cocoa Butter: Terra Naturals- Kenya unrefined cocoa butter
Benefits of cocoa butter
- Hydrates and nourishes the skin – Cocoa butter is high in fatty acids thus forming a protective barrier over the skin to hold in moisture. It contains oleic, palmitic, and stearic acids, all of which nourish the skin.
- Anti-aging – Cocoa butter slows skin aging by protecting the skin against damage from the sun’s harmful UV rays and helps fight off free-radical. Free radicals can cause skin aging, dark patches, and dull skin. Protecting your skin from free-radical damage is a must if you want to keep it healthy and youthful-looking. Cocoa butter is an anti-inflammatory thus helping your skin resist the ravages of time.
- Improve elasticity – Cocoa butter is also rich in natural plant compounds called phytochemicals which may improve blood flow to the skin and makes it more supple.
- Smooth scars, wrinkles, stretch marks, and other marks on the skin – due to its antioxidants, cocoa buttercreams and lotions can be used during and after pregnancy to prevent and minimize the appearance of stretch marks.
- Sensitive skin aid/healer – Cocoa butter has also been promoted to heal rashes from conditions like eczema and dermatitis.
- Great for hair – cocoa butter will help you keep your hair healthy promote growth and softness. Cocoa butter has healing and softening properties that will make your hair healthy and shiny while keeping frizz away.
For those with related/treated hair, cocoa butter will replenish oils lost due to chemical processes
Uses of cocoa butter
- Body lotions and creams.
- Lip balms.
- Body Butter
- Hair products
#cosmeticingredientskenya, #cosmeticingredients, #cosmeticingredientsafrica, #cosmeticingredientsnairobi, #naturalingredientskenya, #naturalingredientsnairobi, #naturalingredientsafrica, #formulabotanica, #beautyingredientskenya, #beautyrawmaterialskenya, #beautyrawmaterialsnairobi, #beautyrawmaterialsafrica